Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Featured Guest - Dodie Pajer

I'm back again with another featured guest.
Grab yourself something cold to drink and meet Dodie.
 
Tell us something about yourself.
I teach elementary (grade 5 for the 2015-16 school year)
at a school just one mile from my house.
I am a mother of identical boys (actually they are now men),
and a grandmother to Oliver.
I've been married for 36 years to the best guy in the world.

Now that we know a little about you,
how would others describe you in just five words.
Funny, loyal, rule-follower, kind, creative.

How did you find out about Whitworth Ranch Retreat? 
My sister, Sue.

How many times have you been there? 
Once.

Do you have a preference as to which room you sleep in?

Next time, I would like to be in the upstairs bedroom in the craft building.

Where do you prefer to get your craft on?  Large room, small room?
Do you have a favorite spot/table?
Small room against the wall close to the door.
 
Were you in a mixed group or did you fill the house with your own friends?
It was a mixed group;
in fact, the only person I knew before I went was my sister.
I did, however, make a lot of new friends.

 What do you do in your spare time when you are not crafting or retreating?
I love to surf the web!  I spend (too much) time on blogs
and a teaching website.

Are you a paper crafter, quilter, knitter, jewelry maker or trouble-maker?
Paper crafter, digital scrapper, counted cross-stitcher, and photographer.
While I was at the retreat, I worked on items to sell at my “store”
Since I traveled by plane to get there,
it was easiest to take and work on digital projects.
I got a LOT accomplished!

How long have you been crafting?  
At least 30 years.

What made you start crafting?  
It’s in my blood; I couldn’t help it.

When you create something, do you sell, gift or keep?
I’ve done all, but probably gift is what I do most.

What is your signature style? 
Eclectic – I like it all!

What are you working on right now?

Learning how to use my new Cricut Explore Air.

What have you created that you are most proud of and why?

If you check out my blog, you’ll see a lot of items that I’ve made,
most of which I am proud of.
If I had to choose one thing, though, it would be the hanging page
that I created for a friend’s birthday because it’s soft and pretty.

 What do you wish you were better at?
Keeping my craft area tidy as well as managing my time better.

If Ms. Muse decides not to show up, where do you get your inspiration?
I go onto websites to see what’s happening.

Do you have a dedicated craft area in your home?

Tell us all about it: what have you done to make your space cozy or beautiful or inspiring? How do you keep your area organized?
My craft space is in my laundry room.
I have a large counter that I sit at with storage above and below
as well as another counter behind me.

How many hours a week do you spend in your happy place?  Not enough!

What would the walls in your craft space say about you?
Gee, she needs to be here more often.
 
What would the walls in your craft space say about your work?
We are so happy to show off what she does.

If you could add just one tool to your craft arsenal, what would you add?
A Cutterpillar.
 
What is your favorite “must have” item for crafting - something that you just
cannot be separated from?
Whatever the newest item that I have just acquired.
 
What is the most useless item that you have purchased to craft?
I’m thinking it might be the Bind-it-All,
but that’s because I haven’t spent any time trying to learn how to use it.
 
Do you keep any of your own creations on display?
Yes.  I have a mini album on a table in the living room
and other creations on walls or windowsills.
 
What are your tricks for organizing your supplies?
I have none, unfortunately.
In fact, I spend time on the web trying to get ideas.

Finish this sentence:
When I am in my creative space, I enjoy what I am doing
and tell myself that I do good work.

I am going to grant you three wishes

to make your area into your dream space.
What are your three wishes?
1.) dedicated spaces for my laptop and Cricut;
2.) pull out shelves in the cabinets so that I don’t have to crouch down
to see what’s in the back;
3.) a better way to organize my growing stash of dies and stamps.

What are your favorite products to create with at this moment?
My new Cricut Explore Air!

How does your creating process work?

Sometimes I just start in my craft space and let it take me wherever it goes;
other times, I use sketches such as Mojo Monday or different challenges.

How long does it typically take you to finish a project?

I don’t keep track of the time,
but usually I go from start to finish in the same session.
I do have an album that has been a work in progress for about four months,
though, that I am determined to finish
as soon as I can decide how to finish it.

Are you a neat or a messy crafter?

I love for my space to be neat,
but in the excitement of creating, I often get sloppy.

It's time to go shopping.

Does most of your money go to Hobby Lobby, Joann's, Michael's,
conventions or a local scrapbook store?
Mike and Jo know me quite well.
We don’t have any local scrapbook stores near me
but I wish there were some, though.

Or are you an on-line shopper?
I do go online quite a bit, but I try not to spend too much.

Are you an impulse craft supplies shopper?  Unfortunately, I am.

If you were given $1000 to spend on craft supplies/tools

what would you purchase?
A Cutterpillar and tons of stamps and coordinating dies.

Do you spend hours and hours looking at blogs?

Yes. I like going to blogs that have videos such as Jennifer McGuire’s
and Kristina Werner’s.

Do you have a blog?  Yes.

Where can we view your blog?  www.onecraftycreature.blogspot.com

What is the best piece of advice that anyone has ever given you

regarding your crafting?
Clean up as you go … but that is advice I don’t usually follow.

Do you have any inspirational words to share?
I love this quote from Henry Ford:
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

I know.  I know.  What happens at the retreat stays at the retreat.
Let's break a few rules.
Tell me something interesting that was said or happened on your retreat.
One of my roommakes had a small bottle on her nightstand.
The lights were very low in the room,
and I was positive that it was a bottle of hooch.
The next morning, I found out that it was a bottle of BBQ sauce!


Thank you, Dodie, for sharing with us.
I know the majority of her answers are new to you, but to me they are not.
You see, I am the sister she refers to.

Remember one thing:  YOU matter.  See you next time!
 


 




 

2 comments:

  1. Your very own sister! Awesome. Does she have twin boys? You know I'm an identical twin, dodn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Helen, my sons are identical twins. Thanks for reading about me, and I hope you visit my site, too. Dodie

    ReplyDelete